Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Ride For World Health: My 2013 Adventure

Happy 2013 friends! This is my 1st ever blog in anticipation of my best year yet. Here I will mainly be talking about my biggest adventure so far, a 2700 mile bicycle ride across the United Stated that will take place from March to May, but I will also be sharing other bits of my life here or in a separate blog containing my other athletic adventures, marriage, finishing medical school in May, and beginning a new step in life with the start of residency in July! In the next 12 weeks leading up to the beginning of the ride I will share more about R4WH, the beneficiaries, how I am training for it through exercise and nutrition, my part in this group, and anything else YOU may be interested in knowing. Once the ride starts March 19th, expect awesome pictures, videos, and stories form the ride, life changing stories about people we encounter, and the impact we are continuing to make across the world. Bear with me these 1st few months as I am definitely not the most tech savoy person you know but I hope to get it all figured out soon.

So about this crazy idea to spend 2 months this year riding from San Diego to Washington D.C. Well, it all started when I was selected by The Ohio State University Medical School to participate in their 8th annual "Ride For World Health" (R4WH).

So what is the R4WH? Ride For World Health is a non-profit organization composed of medical students dedicated to raising awareness for domestic and worldwide health issues as well as raising funds for a couple of amazing organizations that are doing great things when it comes to helping out the neediest in terms of health care. During our 3700 mile journey we will be stopping at major medical centers, universities, elementary and high schools, senior citizen centers, rotary clubs, etc. to discuss issues related to healthcare. More of my views on several healthcare topics are to come in later posts! All of the riders I have met so far are passionate about creating change in the current healthcare landscape and I expect huge things to come from this year's ride.  Before the ride begins and during we are raising funds for Empower and Advance, as they are currently creating and teaching innovative curriculum to train secondary school graduates in Haiti to become Emergency Community Healthcare Workers, and Village Health Works, an organization that delivers medical care and local development initiatives in all of Burundi.

Why did I decide to sign up for this crazy adventure!? Mainly because this ride combines my 2 greatest areas of enjoyment, learning about and educating others in regards to health issues along with living out and promoting a physically active lifestyle. From reading and dissecting several blogs, talking to any available ear about my personal health views, to medical school, and my work in Mexico and local health clinics, I am passionate about gaining and spreading knowledge about health. Also, I try to live out what I preach through activities from 5K runs to marathons, and triathlons, including a full Ironman in 2011. I honestly think WE can begin to change the world and our country's health starting here. If you agree there are several ways you can help us:

Prayers are always needed and appreciated, keeping up with this blog and issues I discuss, and any donations by clicking Here, which directs you to Paypal for easy giving. All donations are completely tax deductible and there is also an address you can send checks to if you prefer. Contact me for more info about our route, itinerary, donating, and other ways you can participate. Also check out the Ride For World Health website, along with our beneficiaries sites above, and my personal profile.

Thanks for reading and expect posts with more entertaining and helpful advice soon!



No comments:

Post a Comment