Sunday, April 14, 2013

Half Way Home

As we arrived in Muskogee, OK today our group had a lot to celebrate and reflect on. We are now officially half way through our ride, we are enjoying our last stop in the great state of Oklahoma, and are reflecting on the great times we shared with several portion riders that have recently parted ways to return to their daily life.

It is unbelievable to look at a map and to realize how far we have traveled in such little time. We are halfway through our journey and with this landmark coinciding with Oklahoma it allowed me to reflect on the trip so far. So many friends and family have asked me my most favorite moments thus far which I have found to be a very difficult questions. There has been so much to enjoy, from making 20 new great friends and future colleagues, seeing the incredible country side while exploring some great cities such as Phoenix and Albuquerque, lecturing to groups that share out interest in global health, and also impacting bystanders along the way wondering why there are 20 bikers in matching spandex riding in the middle of nowhere. I can only expect the 2nd half will be even better than the 1st.

Oklahoma! The good and the ugly... It accounted for 3 flat tires, a broken chain, 2 days of rain (one being freezing rain), and my first actual crash leaving me with a few cuts and bumps but more so a beating to my pride after pulling my self out of a ditch full of water. It was also a great time, we had local riders join us for rides from weatherford to OKC and also in Tulsa, we had great turnouts to lectures at OU and OSU's medical schools. We were fed very well every where we went! But the best part was getting to see and spend time with my family and friends, especially 3 days/nights with my wife and getting to celebrate my mothers 50th birthday!

I also took time to reflect today on a conversation our group had a few nights ago regarding our group and they character and dynamics each member brings to the team as a whole. We have unfortunately seen how some of the riders have influenced and shaped our group as they were only portion riders and have left to return to their previous commitments. Dan brought tons of energy, always a good laugh, and a great twist on conventional wisdom that would make you think. Josh Flanagan brought his own wisdom and inspiration to myself since he is an ER attending as well as a adventure guru. Liz was great just for her willingness to go with the flow, experience as much as possible during her time on the trip, and her ability to carry on any conversation. Pankti's contagious positive attitude, her smile, and encouragement she gives to everyone will definitely be missed. I can definitely see our group change as riders come and go and it's interesting to think about how each rider has contributed to this great experience.

As always, I want to thank all of you for reading this blog and supporting me and the team. Soon the ride will be over but I know I can count on your continued support well beyond the end of the ride for everything in life. Thank you so much for that feeling.




















No comments:

Post a Comment