Wednesday, March 20, 2013

And We are off!

It's just day 1 and so much has happened. We got to San Diego and got a crash course on the city as quickly a possible. We headed to the beach, got to the cliffs for sunset, and then had dinner in the Gas Lamp district.

I had to say goodbye to Katie yesterday morning for the next 3 weeks. She is incredible and so supportive of all my crazy goals and adventures. I am one lucky guy. I met the gang, we had a "warm-up" ride with over 1000 ft of elevation in 18 miles and then dipped our rear tires in the frigid ocean at Mission Bay!

Today was the toughest 65 mile ride I've ever done. It was actually tougher than any 100 mile ride I've ever done. We left the hustle of San Diego and headed to the mountains of central Cali to Julian. We had over 7000 feet of elevation gain today with a viscous head wind the second half of the ride. We knew the second we had made it out of the city, the country side is so amazing and the ride today although tough was also my most favorite ride I've ever been on. My leg felt great that had been bothering me the past few weeks. My garmin unfortunately has no battery life this morning but if it was anyway that I didn't have it, it would be today when my cadence (pedals per minute) didn't need to be tracked since I was in my lowest gear and just peddling as fast as possible.

Once in Julian, I met up with the "crew" for the day giving lectures as the local library. It feels so rewarding already to have started the ride and talk one-on-one with people about our cause and all the interest they have in it. You can of course still donate at my personal rider page at R4WH.org. And again if you would like more info about any of the Oklahoma events let me know and ill be posting them here when we get closer.

I'm posting a few times during the day on my Facebook and twitter accounts if you'd like more smaller updates. Thank you everyone for all of the continued support!
















1 comment:

  1. Keep up the good work Blake! You are one amazing dude and always pushing yourself to new limits. Hope you have a great journey ahead!

    ReplyDelete